Week 2 of 2021
Well, this has been a wonderful and eventful week for me. On Wednesday, Chris Kennedy gave me the opportunity to become lead dog on New Mythology Press, his fantasy imprint. This means I’ll be taking submissions and guiding the accepted books through the process of publication.
This is incredibly exciting and I look forward to bringing you all a bunch of great stuff to read.
I’ll be adjusting some things related to my weekly email as part of this. I’m going to start sending them out Thursday to better flow with Tuesday releases for New Mythology Press. I’ve added a New Mythology Works in Progress section where I’ll discuss what’s going on there. There will be more changes as I adapt to this amazing new opportunity.
Thanks again to Chris.
By the way, if you’re interested in submitting a novel to New Mythology Press here are the basics:
New Mythology Press Novel Submission Guidelines
- Novels of 80 to 120k words
- In .doc or .docx file format
- Times New Roman, 12pt
- 1.5 spaced
- Can be fantasy of any type, epic, urban, high, whatever. Needs to have heroes doing heroic things, just like you’ve come to expect from all the books from CKP.
However, this does not mean I’ll stop writing. Not at all. I actually had a great week of progress on The Ravening of Wolves, getting about 6k done despite not writing at all yesterday because it was my sweetie’s birthday. It’s good to get back into the groove.
With that, I better get working. I’ve already got submissions to read. Exciting stuff!
What I’m Listening To
Rush, all of it. Neil died a year ago Thursday and I’m not over it.
Quote of the Week
I’ve probably used this quote before, but it’s too powerful not to use again. It comes from the last song on the last album by Rush. Neil nurtured one hell of a garden.
“The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect
So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect”
– Neil Peart (1952 – 2020), “The Garden” from Clockwork Angels
New Mythology Works in Progress
Songs of Valor is basically complete. It goes to the editor this weekend. I’m really proud of how this turned out and you’ll want to get it when it comes out in March. Here’s the list of fantastic stories and ridiculously good author list, along with a note if they’re part of an existing series:
- The Dragon and the Drunkard by David Weber
- Smoke and Shadow by Jon Osborne (Milesian Accords series)
- On a Wing and a Train by Benjamin Tyler Smith (Necrolopolis series)
- The One You’d Least Expect by Chris Kennedy
- Oathbreaker by Melissa Olthoff
- Changes by Kevin Steverson (Balance of Kerr series)
- What the Eye Sees by Quincy J. Allen (Rellen series)
- Songbird by Jamie Ibson
- One More Flight by Sarah Hoyt
- A Quaint Pastime by Casey Moores
- Backup by D.J. Butler (Indrajit and Fix series)
- The Hill to Die On by J.P. Chandler
- Magnum Opus by Rob Howell (Shijuren series)
- Cranky Bitch by Glen Cook (Black Company series)
- The Dregs by Larry Correia
I’m still amazed by this collection of talent. Truly an honor to be a part of it.
Rob’s Works in Progress
- The Ravening of Wolves (35,384)
- Rick Blaine (8,845)
- CB (8,418)
- Cynewulf (8,642)
- Gato (2,312)
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- Working on other things this week
This week’s spotlight is on Christopher Woods and William Joseph Roberts, who put out their own take on the Salvage Title universe with Smuggler’s Run. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S71RJP5.
Today’s Weight: 345.8
Updated Word Count: 2,396
Shijuren Wiki: 725 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at email@example.com. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3)
- “What’s in a Name” in When Valor Must Hold (An Edward prequel story)
- “An Oath’s Other Edge” in Dragons and Dribbles : A Corner Scribblers Flash Collection w/ guest author, Rob Howell
Nick Patara, PI
- Silent Knight (Nick Patara, PI, Book 1)
- Under a Midnight Clear (Nick Patara, PI, Book 2) (Forthcoming)
Four Horsemen Universe
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (Revelations Cycle, Book 7))
- “A Sword for Striking” in Luck Is Not a Factor (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 6)
- Fire From Fire Quickened” in The Gates of Hell (Four Horsemen Saga, Book 4)
- The Feeding of Sorrows (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 11)
The Phases of Mars
- “Far Better to Dare” in Those In Peril
- “In Dark’ning Storms” in To Slip the Surly Bonds
- “Here Must We Hold” in Trouble in the Wind
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “The Chaos of Well-Seeming Forms” in We Dare
- “Nor War’s Quick Fire” in We Dare II: Semper Paratus (Forthcoming, 2020)
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org