Week 36 of 2020
I was very productive this week… when I could work. I lost Tuesday and Wednesday to because I wasn’t feeling well. Not anything big, just my body will occasionally shift out of place and I’ll have, in this case, a dislocated ankle. Worst I can remember. Knocked me for a loop. I guess I’m getting old.
Anyway, on Monday I submitted a short story called “An Oath’s Other Edge” to a Corner Scribblers anthology. I also got to do the introduction. Really nice of them to invite me to join them, and I hope you guys check them out on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/The-Corner-Scribblers/e/B082YQWLCZ.
Then I got into editing None Call Me Mother. I may have mentioned that my editor said it started of slowly, but by the end of it she lost track of working because she fell into the story. That’s a great compliment, of course, at least for the second half.
So I went into editing with the goal of streamlining and cutting. It’s much stronger already. I’ve already cut over 7000 words and I’m only about 150 pages in out of about 520. It’s actually about 10-15% shorter in those pages now, but definitely faster and more powerful.
It’s an odd thing. I’ve spent years fighting this book to get to the end, but I’m loving chopping major chunks out of the draft. Useless. Gone. Gloat. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Next week the sweetie and I will be out on a trip to Clarksville, TN and we’re having a few people over on Monday for Labor Day. That means I’ll only have 3 days or so in the next week to really hammer at it, but I expect finish this pass middle of week after. Then I’ll do one more editing pass to make sure I haven’t chopped something important (which I will have and will miss but my editor will catch).
By the end of October I’ll send it back to the editor for line editing and proofreading. Then I’ll do my print and read out loud pass. Then it’ll be ready. I expect the artwork to be done early October. Overall, it’s looking like some point in November and it’ll be live.
What I’m Listening To
The Cardinals playing in Wrigley Field against the Cubs. There’s something very soothing and right about this matchup, even without fans. Call it the Harry Carey Battle, given that he actually announced for the Cardinals way back when before ultimately going to the Cubs.
Quote of the Week
And since Harry was such an interesting guy, we might as well use one of his quotes. No, I’m not going with the low-hanging fruit of “Holy Cow!” Instead, I’m going with something thoughtful. Yes, by *that* Harry Carey.
Odds are I won’t write for 54 years, though I can hope. Still, I hope I always remember this quote by him. I’ll never master this craft so much that I can’t learn something new.
“I’ve only been doing this 54 years. With a little experience, I might get better.”
– Harry Carey
News and Works in Progress
- The Ravening of Wolves (29,837)
- CB (8,418)
- Cynewulf (8,642)
- Gato (2,312)
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- Focused on None Call Me Mother
- Virtual Dragon is going on right now!
You can find it on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/fantasylitdc/?view_public_for=119404425544152
And on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo9vd6MmomBJzQr24DcnmjQ?view_as=subscriber
And my panel on Drinking in Fantasy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlK55UjbJW8
Robert E. Hampson is an incredibly smart man. Like an actual real genius. A brain surgeon working on cool stuff like artificial memory. Not only that, he’s got the best initials evah!
Today’s Weight: 363.0
Updated Word Count: 237, 231
Shijuren Wiki: 72 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3) Forthcoming 2020
- “What’s in a Name” in When Valor Must Hold (An Edward prequel story)
Four Horsemen Universe
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (Revelations Cycle, Book 7))
- “A Sword for Striking” in Luck Is Not a Factor (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 6)
- Fire From Fire Quickened” in The Gates of Hell (Four Horsemen Saga, Book 4)
- The Feeding of Sorrows (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 11)
The Phases of Mars
- “Far Better to Dare” in Those In Peril
- “In Dark’ning Storms” in To Slip the Surly Bonds
- “Here Must We Hold” in Trouble in the Wind
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “The Chaos of Well-Seeming Forms” in We Dare
- “Nor War’s Quick Fire” in We Dare: Semper Paratus (Forthcoming, 2020)
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com