Week 14 of 2021
Lots of news this week!
First, I’ll be joining David Lucas on his Writer’s Wrap Up Podcast tomorrow night, Saturday the 10th, at 6pm Central. You can watch it at these links:
Come on out and join us.
More media news!!!!
I’m joining Ian J. Malone and Kevin Steverson as the new Dudes in Hyperspace lineup. We’ll do a podcast every other week and we’re going to cover a variety of things we find interesting. Obviously, we’ll talk about our writing some, but we’ll also discuss sports, movies, music, grilling, good alcohol, and whatever else strikes our fancy.
The first episode will come out in less than three weeks, and we’re going to start with one of my near and dear things, the NFL Draft.
I’m really excited to be a part of this, and I want to thank Ian for giving me the opportunity.
The week has been productive in other ways as well. I’ve gotten quite a few words written in The Ravening of Wolves. I’m writing the final battle scene right now. One big hurdle to cross is finding a way to end the battle and get me to the concluding scene, which I’ve already written.
In other words, I’m basically writing combat until I find a way to have a moment of pause. It’s a good feeling because the story is basically done. I could finish the draft today, and that means off to Chris edited in a week or so.
Speaking of completing things. The manuscript for Responsibility of the Crown is complete and just awaiting a cover. I’m excited about this too.
Oh, and in other good news, I’ve gotten in the habit of walking before going to Brewbakers, my writing bar. There’s a nice walking path near it and it’s gone well. I didn’t go yesterday because I can’t afford to eat there every day, but I did a bunch of carpentry and moving of lawn timbers instead.
It’s only a week, but so far, I already feel more energetic, though I have learned that Rauta by Korpiklaani is too damn fast to start the walk with.
What I’m Listening To
At Brewbaker’s, which has the Masters on. I’m not really into golfing, but I can understand the appeal. Also, they’ve gotten pretty good at making golf a solid TV sport. Still not my cup of tea, but it’s surprisingly good background for writing.
Quote of the Week
On April 9th, 1959, NASA picked the Mercury Seven. As Elon Musk and others continue pushing us to the stars, I thought I’d share a particularly poignant quote by Gus Grissom. I share it because I firmly believe he was correct. We *have* to get off the rock.
“If we die, we want people to accept it. We’re in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us, it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life.”
― Gus Grissom
New Mythology Works in Progress
Coming soon is Kevin Steverson’s Accepted, the second in his Balance of Kerr series. It’s got lots of action and characters you root for. Good stuff.
Deadline: 31 July
Manuscript: In .doc or .docx file format, Times New Roman, 12pt, 1.5 spaced
Send To: email@example.com
Prompt: Write a fantasy story involving a beast or monster. While the story can include elements of horror, it should not be a horror story; it should be a fantasy and lean toward the heroic. Feel free to make the beast or monster your protagonist, but if not, the creature must be a central figure, (like Grendel in Beowulf).
As mentioned, we will choose the top four stories out of those submitted to add to the anthology. This is especially aimed at newer authors, though authors of any experience can enter.
- Just Released: Songs of Valor (Book 2 of the Libri Valoris anthologies with Larry Correia, David Weber, Glen Cook, Dave Butler, and Sarah Hoyt). You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z7Z3KT1
- Coming Soon!!!! 12 April: Accepted (Book 2 of the Balance of Kerr series by Kevin Steverson.
- 21 May: Responsibility of the Crown (Book 1 of the Endless Ocean series by G. Scott Huggins)
Rob’s Works in Progress
- The Ravening of Wolves (89,116)
- Rick Blaine (8,845)
- CB (8,418)
- Cynewulf (8,642)
- Gato (2,312)
The Reluctant Druid, first of Jon Osborne’s Milesian Accords series, is on Bookbub special for $0.99 for a few hours more. You can get it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07716V2RN. This is great urban fantasy.
Monday, Monday, Monday! New Mythology is proud to release Kevin Steverson’s Accepted, the second in his Balance of Kerr series. It’s got lots of action and characters you root for. Good stuff.
Today’s Weight: 340.0 (Hanging steady at 340.0)
Updated Word Count: 12,988
Shijuren Wiki: 725 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3)
- “What’s in a Name” in When Valor Must Hold (An Edward prequel story)
- “An Oath’s Other Edge” in Dragons and Dribbles : A Corner Scribblers Flash Collection w/ guest author, Rob Howell
Nick Patara, PI
- Silent Knight (Nick Patara, PI, Book 1)
- Under a Midnight Clear (Nick Patara, PI, Book 2) (Forthcoming)
Four Horsemen Universe
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (Revelations Cycle, Book 7))
- “A Sword for Striking” in Luck Is Not a Factor (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 6)
- Fire From Fire Quickened” in The Gates of Hell (Four Horsemen Saga, Book 4)
- The Feeding of Sorrows (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 11)
The Phases of Mars
- “Far Better to Dare” in Those In Peril
- “In Dark’ning Storms” in To Slip the Surly Bonds
- “Here Must We Hold” in Trouble in the Wind
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “The Chaos of Well-Seeming Forms” in We Dare
- “Nor War’s Quick Fire” in We Dare II: Semper Paratus (Forthcoming, 2020)
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com