Week 29 of 2020
I had a very productive first half of the week, but got distracted by my birthday on Thursday. We had the electrician over for a variety of small things. Then my birthday present to myself was to clean out and organize a closet we could now get to after moving everything around.
Oddly, that was extremely satisfying.
Anyway, I want to take a moment to thank the nearly 400 people who went out of their way to say happy birthday. I tried to thank them all individually, but if I missed some, thanks very much.
On Friday, my sweetie and I actually celebrated by going to the Hoffman Mill in Enterprise. It sells heirloom turkey red flour that she can eat without normal gluten issues, so we came back with bags and bags of it.
Yes, we could just order it online, but then we wouldn’t have had the fun of driving here and there in small town Kansas. This is something my dad showed me could be a lot of fun. Found a cool bookstore/bar/coffee shop in Baldwin City, among other things.
We also stopped at the Coneburg Grill and Pub in Peabody. They make a delicious black and blue steak salad. While there, we stopped at the Peabody Sausage House.
As for work, I made good progress on None Call Me Mother on Monday and Wednesday, but Tuesday morning I woke up and had to write something else. It may never see the light of day, but I wrote 2k in a brand new universe idea I have. It’s one of those “nobody is writing exactly what I want to read so I’ll do it” sort of projects.
Also, I spent some time organizing the sequel anthology to When Valor Must Hold. This one is going to include some huge names, and I’m proud to be a part of it.
More importantly for right now, I want to pass on the contest that we are doing in conjunction with FantaSci, where the anthology will be listed. The gist is where offering four slots to any aspiring writer and FantaSci will pick one as their winner, but you can find the details here: https://mailchi.mp/e0ad89095250/announcing-a-contest-for-writers-everywhere.
I hope to get a bunch of submissions. For now, though, I’m back to seeing if I can save Irina.
What I’m Listening To
“No Sleep Till Brooklyn”
It’s fascinating to me how well the Beastie Boys have stood up over the years. I wouldn’t have guessed that in the 80s, but I still love them.
Quote of the Week
My birthday is the 16th, which of course was the date of the first atomic bomb explosion in 1945. Most are familiar with Robert Oppenheimer’s quote from the day about becoming “death, the destroyer of worlds.” However I much prefer this quote by him:
“In battle, in forest, at the precipice in the mountains,
On the dark great sea, in the midst of javelins and arrows,
In sleep, in confusion, in the depths of shame,
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.”
– Robert Oppenheimer
News and Works in Progress
- None Call Me Mother (130,662)
- CB (8,418)
- AOOE (1,030)
- Cynewulf (7,378)
- Gato (2,312)
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- Aldegund Raganhildis: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Aldegund-Raganhildis
- Ansgar Anderssen: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Ansgar-Anderssen
- Snorri Erikssen: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Snorri-Erikssen
- Ragnhild Halvardsdottir: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Ragnhild-Halvardsdottir
- Hakon Snorrissen: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Hakon-Snorrissen
- Hrafnhild Snorrisdottir: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Hrafnhild-Snorrisdottir
- Halvard Magnussen: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Halvard-Magnussen
- Medved Oblast: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Medved-Oblast
- 8 August, Olathe Writers Zoom Event
- 3-7 September, DragonCon, Atlanta, GA
CANCELED (Much sadness)
This week only has one that I know of, Warrior Embraced by David Hallquist. This is the third in the Singularity War series. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Embraced-Singularity-War-Book-ebook/dp/B08CZ85NFB/
Today’s Weight: 376.0
Updated Word Count: 81,833
Shijuren Wiki: 47 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rhodri2112
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: http://www.shijuren.org/World+
- MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/rob.howell1
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3) Forthcoming 2020
- “What’s in a Name” in When Valor Must Hold (An Edward prequel story)
Four Horsemen Universe
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (The Four Horsemen Universe)
- “A Sword for Striking” in Luck Is Not a Factor (The Four Horsemen Universe)
- The Feeding of Sorrows (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 11)
The Phases of Mars
- “Far Better to Dare” in Those In Peril
- “In Dark’ning Storms” in To Slip the Surly Bonds
- “Here Must We Hold” in Trouble in the Wind
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “The Chaos of Well-Seeming Forms” in We Dare
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com