Week 22 of 2018
I had a great time at ConQuest last weekend. Met some cool people, sold a few books, learned some things. Good stuff. My complete AAR is here: http://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1142.
The first edited copies of Brief Is My Flame are starting to come in. I’m truly humbled by all the work my Advance Reader Team is doing for me. Thanks for helping me make a better book.
It’s clear to me that I’m getting more skilled at the technical aspects of writing. I have dramatically reduced certain mistakes that I commonly made in A Lake Most Deep. I still have a long way to go, of course, but it’s progress. I may not be designing better furniture and it may not have fantastic decoration, but at least I’m building the items better than ever.
This weekend is Wichicon, a small con held as part of Wichita’s Riverfest. I don’t that it will be a great selling con, but Wichita is home and it’s a chance to see Mom.
Today, I’ll start going through some of the edits, though next week will be when I start focusing on that. I’ve also started the short story for the next 4HU anthology. I’m in the throw words at the page and wait for me to make some sort of connection that actually turns into a story.
Current Playlist Song
“Piano Man” by Billy Joel. I know it’s overplayed, but I really appreciate the line “they’re sharing a drink called loneliness.” I’ve been there often enough.
Quote of the Week
Today is Walt Whitman’s birthday, so this quote seems obvious to me. He was so good with evocative language. We remember this part of Song of Myself mostly because of the “barbaric yawp” and perhaps Robin Williams in Dead Poet Society, but here’s more just to give the ‘yawp’ its context.
The spotted hawk swoops by and accuses me, he complains of my gab and my loitering.
I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.
It coaxes me to the vapor and the dusk.
I effuse my flesh in eddies, and drift it in lacy jags.
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.
And filter and fibre your blood.
– Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
News and Works in Progress
- TAV (2,007)
- AFS (2,681)
- LD (819)
- Brief Is My Flame (106,000 exactly)
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- 2-3 June, Wichicon, Wichita, KS http://www.wichicon.com/
- 29 June-1 July, LibertyCon, Chattanooga, TN https://libertycon.org/
- 6-8 July, InConjunction, Indianapolis, IN http://www.inconjunction.org/
(ed. note: InConjunction instead of Battlemoor)
- 13-15 July, O Comic Con, Omaha, NE https://www.ocomiccon.com/
- 27 July-12 August, Pennsic War, Cooper’s Lake, PA http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn47/
- 15-16 September, TopCon, Topeka, KS http://www.topcon.us/
This week’s spotlight is on Gray Rinehart, a talented musician, editor, and writer. You can find my interview of him at: http://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1145 and his website is: http://graymanwrites.com.
Today’s Weight: 392.4
Updated Word Count: Too many computers, the count file is on the desktop
Shijuren Wiki: 756 entries
Four Horsemen Wiki: 349 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rhodri2112
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: http://www.shijuren.org/World+
- MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/rob.howell1
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2) Forthcoming 2018
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3) Forthcoming 2018
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (The Four Horsemen Universe)
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com