Week of 10-16 September
Greetings all and welcome to release day!
For a Few Credits More, the second anthology in the Four Horsemen Universe is now available at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LGF41H
My story, “Where Enemies Sit” talks about a lieutenant on his first deployment. The title comes from the Havamal which begins:
All the entrances, before you walk forward,
you should look at,
you should spy out;
for you can’t know for certain where enemies are sitting,
ahead in the hall
(Larrington, Carolyne. (Trans.) (1999) The Poetic Edda, page 14. Oxford World’s Classics)
Let’s just say the lieutenant finds enemies sitting where he did not expect.
Anyway, I’m very excited to become a part of the Four Horsemen Universe, and hope to be allowed to contribute more. “Where Enemies Sit” has spawned a number of ideas for me that I will try and fit between writing in Shijuren.
Speaking of which, I’ve done a little, but not much. With all the upheaval in my life, I simply haven’t written much. I’ve done a number of other projects, though, and have been clearing the decks of some assembled things that have also needed attention.
I’ve got a series of SCA events to attend over the next three weeks. I’ll be at Queen’s Prize Tournament, which will give me an opportunity to visit with my apprentice. The week after, I’ll be in Grimfells with my booth. I’ll also be selling at the Gryphon’s Fest event.
I hope to have copies of For a Few Credits More there, but it may take a while.
With that, I’ll get back to work.
Quote of the Week
Also from Larrington’s translation of the Havamal is a much more famous passage:
you yourself die;
I know one thing
which never dies:
the judgment of a dead man’s life
– The Havamal, Stanza 77
News and Works in Progress
- Did about 2k words in Brief Is My Flame this week. Not much really, but I’ve been scribbling out and recording notes to hopefully make the writing much quicker when everything settles down.
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- Last week I did my NFL prediction at https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=839. There are also eight other blog posts breaking down each division. They’re linked in this main post.
- 23 September: A Crusade to Grimfells, Fayetteville, AR http://www.grimfells.net/wordp
- 30 September: Gryphons Fest, St. Louis, MO https://sites.google.com/view/
- 13-15 October: Constellation, Huntsville, AL http://www.con-stellation.org/
constell/wiki/index.php?title= Con%E2%80%A0Stellation_Main_Pa ge
- 18-22 October: War of the Wings, Boonville, NC http://www.warofthewings.com/
- 27-29 October: HonorCon, Raleigh, NC http://www.honorcon.org/
I’ve put both of them here before, but this week’s spotlight again goes to Chris Kennedy and Mark Wandrey, whose Four Horsemen Universe is blowing up. In fact, over the next few weeks, I’ll be linking to other authors in For a Few Credits More.
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2) Forthcoming 2017
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3) Forthcoming 2018
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com