Week of 3-9 September
Well, I survived DragonCon. I have an AAR up at: https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=798. The TL:DR version: the logistics of 80,000 people in downtown Atlanta limit the fun, but there’s still lots of fun to be had.
Now I’m back home, sorta. We found a house and put in a bid. In fact, I signed the accepted counter-offer while in Atlanta. We went through the inspection yesterday and, for a house built in the early 50s, it’s in fantastic shape. There are quibbles here and there, and a couple of things we’re going to ask from the sellers, but by and large, nothing we can’t fix.
Now we just have to make sure the financing goes through correctly. I get there are reasons for all of this but man this process is frustrating.
As for writing, I’ve done a little here and there, but for the time being it’s going to be iffy. Between the move and planned trips, time has been an issue. I did manage to get a good start on a particular thread while at DragonCon, though.
Now, the time has given some ideas a chance to percolate, so it’s not been unfruitful. Also, I’ve come up with a good short story idea that I’ve been dabbling with. I can’t finish it until I get access to my books, which are currently packed up, though.
The big news next week is that my opportunity to be “And More” will arrive as For a Few Credits More will be released on the 15th. I’ll have a link for you next week.
Tonight, the NFL season starts. I’m so ready. I’ll be writing my NFL Preview during the game so expect that post late tonight.
Quote of the Week
I’m not a huge Neil Gaiman fan. Yes, I know that makes me a heretic. However, I do love this quote.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
― Neil Gaiman,
News and Works in Progress
- New short story. It’s a secret 🙂
- Brief Is My Flame (12k)
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- DragonCon AAR: https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=798
- 23 September: A Crusade to Grimfells, Fayetteville, AR http://www.grimfells.net/
- 30 September: Gryphons Fest, St. Louis, MO https://sites.google.com/view/
- 13-15 October: Constellation, Huntsville, AL http://www.con-stellation.org/
constell/wiki/index.php?title= Con%E2%80%A0Stellation_Main_Pa ge
- 18-22 October: War of the Wings, Boonville, NC http://www.warofthewings.com/
- 27-29 October: HonorCon, Raleigh, NC http://www.honorcon.org/
While Van Allen Plexico let me have space at DragonCon, it was Brett Brooks and his wife Allyson who did much of the work manning the booth. You can find Brett’s Facebook author page here: https://www.facebook.com/brettbrooksauthor/. He has a fun and whimsical take on the Noir detective.
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at email@example.com. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2) Forthcoming 2017
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3) Forthcoming 2018
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org