We continue with our interviews of authors in Keen Edge of Valor, coming out one week from today at FantaSci, with Mel Todd.
Mel and I see each other at a number of cons, but it was only this past LibertyCon we had a real chance to chat. She’s got a great sense of humor, as you’ll see in her story “Of Claws and Men,” the second short story in her Small Magics universe.
Interview: Mel Todd
What is your quest?
To tell the stories I can’t find. To show people ways reality can twist, and how the ordinary person can prove themselves extraordinary.
What is your favorite color?
Purple! Lol – one of the things I love to do is set my desktop wallpaper to random and load different themes. For a while it was Hubble Telescope pictures, then walls of covers from multiple genres, right now it is all “You should be writing” meme’s. I will say Tom Hiddleston’s Loki might have one or two in there.
What is the average flying speed of an unladen paint brush?
Oh, number one – don’t join a romance group and let them read your non-romance sci-fi. You will walk away thinking you are the worst writer ever. Asking for help is great, but make sure they LIKE the genre you are writing in. Hmmm… life. Life is hard sometimes. Finding time to write is even harder. Make it a priority, but be nice to yourself and accept you can only do so much.
What are the powers of your personal Holy Hand Grenade?
Wait you get a holy hand grenade? No fair. AT all. All I have is a Cat of Superciliousness. So on those days I just can’t – the want to suck the thumb and crawl into a ball – those days? 5 minute timer. You only have to write for 5 minutes – nonstop, 5 minutes. Most of the time I’ll decide I can do another 5 minutes. You’d be amazed how much you can get if you just do it for 5, 10, 15 minutes. Otherwise creatively? I talk to myself – a lot.
- Favorite Muppet? Miss Piggy! Sexy, confident, and has a tail. How can you not love her?
- Crunchy or Creamy? Crunchy. I want my nuts to have substance.
- Favorite Sports Team? ….. Ravenclaws?
- Cake or Pie? Pie. With ice cream or cheddar cheese if apple.
- Lime or Lemon? Yes
- Favorite Chip Dip? … salsa – especially good with cream cheese.
- Wet or Dry? I didn’t realize this was an X-Rated interview. I’d have to make sure all your readers are over 18 to answer that.
- Favorite Musical Performer We’ve Never Heard Of? Ohh… I don’t know if I am that obsure of a music person – relatively common Sisters of Mercy and Johnny Horton.
- Whisky or Whiskey? Yes
- Favorite Superhero? She-Hulk. Sorry I LOVE Jennifer Walters. She is so awesome. No angst, rolled with it, and rocked it.
- Steak Temperature? Blood should be dripping.
- Favorite 1970s TV show? I don’t recall telling you how ancient I am – but Bionic Woman. Jamie Summers is my idol.
- Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall? Fall, dear goddess Fall. I want my apple cider, my fireplace, my smores!
- Favorite Pet? Oh my pussy – ha, told you, no X-rated answers. I have 3 cats who all feel like I serve them. So, yeah. I’m owned. I admit it.
- Best Game Ever? …. You hate me don’t you. How do you expect me to choose? So… Colossal Cave Adventure all the way up to Planescape Torment to WoW…. And lots in between. Then there is Munchkin and Solitare and Gems of War and LARP and White Wolf and D&D (I’m agnostic sorry) so Best Game Ever – the one I am playing at this moment. Which happens to be called My Creative Brain Hates me.
- Coffee or Tea? Coffee in the mornings, iced tea in the summer evenings, and hot tea with spirits in the winter evenings.
- Sci-Fi or Fantasy? Yes. What? I like to try different flavors. I’m equal opportunity. ~Wiggles eyesbrows~
What question(s) would you like to ask me?
Well, Rob….. oh.. x-rated.. right. So – dang it all my questions are business related and probably REALLY boring to anyone not trying to make a living at this, so Dragoncon yes?
Rob’s Answer: Well, since this is well after DragonCon I can reliably inform you I’m unlikely to go in 2018. Actually, I did not have a great time at DragonCon last year. It was fun, but not the amount of fun I paid for.
A big part of why is that I love my job. I enjoy being on panels. I like interacting with writers and readers. The bigger a con is the more difficult that becomes, especially since I’m not yet a big enough name for DragonCon to approve me as an attending professional.
Also, I recently moved and frankly needed a fall with few long trips. I go to Pennsic every year where I make money and people know me. It’s only a few weeks before DragonCon and I just didn’t have enough spoons to push to go.
Will I go in 2019? I don’t know. It’ll depend on where my career is to an extent. Ask me at LibertyCon.
Tell me again where we can find your stuff?
OOOH… Self Promo!!! www.badashpublishing.com we has books, we has blogs and we will be at LibertyCon in 2019 and Dragoncon always. What can I say, I’m addicted.
And where can we find you?
Oh… umm.. I wrote the above before I read this.. um… Moonlight and Magnolias in 2018 and 20booksto50kVegas in 2018. Hmm… otherwise, beg me to come (oops x-rated again) and I’ll think about it.
Do you have a creator biography?
And low the heavens opened and then slammed shut again, leaving Mel standing in the wet dreary California farmland. What shall become of our waif? Tune in to find out.
Final question for you: What should I have asked but did not?
Hmmm.. name/species/orientaion might have been a good start. Mel Todd – human (maybe), vertical most of the time, except when I’m horizontal.
Thanks to Mel Todd for taking the time to answer my questions.
If you have any suggestions or comments about this interview format, let me know so I can keep tweaking it.
Thanks for reading. If you’re interested in any of the other interviews I’ve done, you can find them all here: https://robhowell.org/blog/?cat=326.
If you are a creator, especially an independent creator, and you want to be spotlighted in a future interview, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, if you want to join my mailing list, where I’ll announce every interview, as well as what’s going on in my life, go to www.robhowell.org and fill out the form (Name and Email Address) or drop me an email and I’ll add you.