This week’s interview is A.M. Freeman, a really sharp cookie who likes to dress up like a cow every once in a while. Don’t let that fool you, she’s udderly brilliant.
Interview: A.M. Freeman
What is your quest?
To share the stories that build up in my head and preserve my sanity. (or whats left of it)
What is your favorite color?
My color is green. Green is the color of growth. I like to take a spark and work and mold it until it is a fire that others can be warmed by and enjoy. I’ve found my way to do that is to list the ideas from the spark, do research to get more ideas, then organize them. I think over the setting, the people, the conflicts, what motivations goals there are. I group them into rough scenes, like making a skeleton. I keep molding, filling out and adding flesh to the scenes, until the story and actions are clear. Then I form it, adding the skin, hair, eyes, the details so that everyone else can see and understand. Then I beat it over and over and over again, until the shape and textures are just right. At last my Golem is complete! And I set it out on the masses! Muhahaha!!!
What is the average flying speed of an unladen paint brush?
Sloooooow. I like to say I can’t read or write, I’m just good at telling stories. In truth, I couldn’t read until I was 10. That hasn’t stopped me much, just provided some hilarious spelling mix-ups. I’m not too slow at writing, just reading. There was also the time I lost ALL the editing on a novel I was trying to write. I’m talking months spent going over the entire 100 pages. Then, the very day I finish the edits, the file goes corrupt. This was before I started constantly saving my projects in multiple places. So the last saved version of the story I had was before I started editing. So I lost all that work, plus about ten pages off the end. That was cripplingly painful. But after taking a break I got back to it and pushed on.
What are the powers of your personal Holy Hand Grenade?
It bursts forth characters. They like to pop into myself. I feel like I can translate emotions pretty well, giving others a chance to feel them. The most emotional story I’ve written is probably my most well known (relatively speaking since I’ve only got short stories out so far) I’m not even sure how much credit I can take for that story. It was a very strange and inspired story that came to me late one night when I was 15. But my technique was strong enough to convey it, so I’ll take that. It was my first publication, at the age of 18. Came out in a little (and by little I mean epic) anthology called Forbidden Thoughts. Look it up!
- Favorite Muppet? Miss Piggy! That sass tho….
- Favorite Sports Team? Pink Panthers! I was the star goalie back in my glory days.
- Cake or Pie? Piecaken It’s a pie baked into a cake.
- Lime or Lemon? Limon
- Favorite Chip Dip? The tasty kind, just nothing too spicy.
- Wet or Dry? Depends on the weather
- Favorite Musical Performer We’ve Never Heard Of? Ellie Lawrence!!! We grew up in the same neighborhood. She was on season 9 of the voice. Has a real cool voice and style, and has an EP out somewhere called “If you Knew Me”
- Whisky or Whiskey? Underaged!
- Favorite Superhero? Wonder Woman
- Favorite 1970s TV show? …. I don’t know any.
- Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall? Anything that isn’t winter! I’m Florida born, and my skinny body can’t handle the cold.
- Favorite Pet? My mustang! She’s a pretty buckskin. Got her at 10 months old, from the wild and untouched by humans, and trained her myself. She’s about 5 now. We like to ride around the pasture bareback.
- Best Game Ever? Ugh! You just made me lose it!
- Coffee or Tea? Coffee, even through it makes me crazy sometimes.
- Sci-Fi or Fantasy? Both, at the same time, rolled into a big ball of awesome, with cool technology and fantastic people/creatures.
What question(s) would you like to ask me? Have you ever seen a chicken run around without it’s head? (I have, it’s pretty funny, almost cartoonish)
Rob’s Answer: Nope. For a guy who’s mostly a Kansas boy, I haven’t spent much time on farms. My headless chickens have all involved BBQ sauce, sesame oil, or and/or rosemary.
Tell me again where we can find your stuff?
- Amazon doesn’t like to link me to the books I’m in, so I have them all linked on my blog here: https://lostinlalalandblog.wordpress.com/my-works/
- I interact a lot on my Facebook so come follow me and see pictures of cows! https://www.facebook.com/a.m.freeman.19
- And if you want to hear that one creepy story of mine I mentioned, here’s the video of a fan reading it. He did a fantastic job! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g1NEEb5kOI&t=17s
And where can we find you?
- LibertyCon Spring of 2019. I’ll be legal to drink then! So things should get interesting. (Rob’s Note: The Four Horsemen Universe party at LC is going to get lit! And her too!)
Final question for you: What should I have asked but did not?
You should have asked how Muse is today. My imaginary cat gets very cranky when people don’t give him attention. (Rob’s Note: Cats don’t have to be imaginary to get cranky without attention. My office cat has been biting me as I type this entry. Like now! Ouch!)
Thanks to A.M. for taking the time to answer my questions.
If you have any suggestions or comments about this interview format, let me know so I can keep tweaking it.
Also, thanks to you for reading. If you’re interested in any of the other interviews I’ve done, you can find them all here: http://robhowell.org/blog/?cat=326. If you are a creator, especially an independent creator, and you want to be spotlighted in a future interview, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, if you want to join my mailing list, where I’ll announce every interview, as well as what’s going on in my life, go to www.robhowell.org and fill out the form (Name and Email Address) or drop me an email and I’ll add you.
Have a great day.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rhodri2112
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: http://www.shijuren.org/World+
- MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/rob.howell1
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112