Week 16 of 2021
Another great week in Robville. I sent The Ravening of Wolves to Chris Kennedy on Sunday. I’m really pleased with how it turned out. It’s got more one-liners and humorous bits than most things I’ve written, along with a heavy dose of fighting. I re-read novels a bunch of times during the process. This one didn’t get old.
We also revealed the cover for Responsibility of the Crown. As you can see, it’s gorgeous.
Scott wrote a great story, and it was an honor to be a part of getting it released. You’re going to love this story.
Since the novel went to Chris, that means I can start on a new project. It’s a short story in a universe I’ve not written in before. I told the anthology editor I planned on writing something a little whimsical, more whimsical than anything I’ve written before. This will qualify, and yet it’ll be a good story.
That’s it for now. Tonight and tomorrow, I’ll be watching the NFL Draft on Zoom. If you want to join me, hit me up with an email or on Facebook and I’ll send you the link.
Monday, we record our next Dudes in Hyperspace, so if you don’t join me tonight, I’ll go over my thoughts, along with Bob Sturm of 105.3 The Ticket and the The Athletic.
Have a great week.
What I’m Listening To
Leadup to the NFL Draft
Quote of the Week
I don’t have the exact quote, because I’m like one of the two fans of the movie The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh, but this is a paraphrase of a quote from Driftwood. There’s a kernel of truth in this, but man, I do love the draft.
“No, I entered the military draft and went to Vietnam to get away from the league’s draft. Those guys were animals.”
― Driftwood, The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh
New Mythology Works in Progress
Deadline: 31 July
Manuscript: In .doc or .docx file format, Times New Roman, 12pt, 1.5 spaced
Send To: email@example.com
Prompt: Write a fantasy story involving a beast or monster. While the story can include elements of horror, it should not be a horror story; it should be a fantasy and lean toward the heroic. Feel free to make the beast or monster your protagonist, but if not, the creature must be a central figure, (like Grendel in Beowulf).
As mentioned, we will choose the top four stories out of those submitted to add to the anthology. This is especially aimed at newer authors, though authors of any experience can enter.
- Just Released: Songs of Valor (Book 2 of the Libri Valoris anthologies with Larry Correia, David Weber, Glen Cook, Dave Butler, and Sarah Hoyt). You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z7Z3KT1
- 12 April: Accepted (Book 2 of the Balance of Kerr series by Kevin Steverson.
- 21 May: Responsibility of the Crown (Book 1 of the Endless Ocean series by G. Scott Huggins)
Rob’s Works in Progress
- The Ravening of Wolves (96, 094 and sent)
- CWTAE (1,701)
- Rick Blaine (8,845)
- CB (8,418)
- Cynewulf (8,642)
- Gato (2,312)
- FantaSci, 21-23 May, Durham, NC
- Armistice (Pennsic Lite), 29 July – 9 August, Slippery Rock, PA
- DragonCon, 2-6 September, Atlanta, GA
- 20BooksTo50K, 8-12 November, Las Vegas, NV
This week, there’s a new Caine Riordan-verse novel from Kevin Ikenberry entitled Desperado. Great combination of talents here, with Kevin writing in Chuck Gannon’s universe. You can find it here: https://chriskennedypublishing.com/book/desperado/.
Also, there’s a Bookbub deal. You can find Bill Webb’s Trashman for $0.99 for a few more days here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SVZF2HF. This is book one of his fun Hit World series.
Today’s Weight: 337.8
Updated Word Count: 114,981
Shijuren Wiki: 725 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3)
- “What’s in a Name” in When Valor Must Hold (An Edward prequel story)
- “An Oath’s Other Edge” in Dragons and Dribbles : A Corner Scribblers Flash Collection w/ guest author, Rob Howell
Nick Patara, PI
- Silent Knight (Nick Patara, PI, Book 1)
- Under a Midnight Clear (Nick Patara, PI, Book 2) (Forthcoming)
Four Horsemen Universe
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (Revelations Cycle, Book 7))
- “A Sword for Striking” in Luck Is Not a Factor (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 6)
- Fire From Fire Quickened” in The Gates of Hell (Four Horsemen Saga, Book 4)
- The Feeding of Sorrows (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 11)
The Phases of Mars
- “Far Better to Dare” in Those In Peril
- “In Dark’ning Storms” in To Slip the Surly Bonds
- “Here Must We Hold” in Trouble in the Wind
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “The Chaos of Well-Seeming Forms” in We Dare
- “Nor War’s Quick Fire” in We Dare II: Semper Paratus (Forthcoming, 2020)
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com