Week 13 of 2021
I’m not a big fan of April Fool’s Day, but MLB’s Opening Day is one of my favorite days of the year. Currently watching one of my favorite players, Joey Gallo, hit against the Royals.
It’s been a great week of writing. I had expected The Ravening of Wolves to be done by this point, but then I expected it to run short. Instead, I’m going to end up around 100k after all.
And it’s wonderful. I really liked where I was going, but this entire last section has been way stronger than I anticipated. I got 8k or so written this week, plus I went through and backfilled a couple of story lines to make the overall story much stronger.
It’s close, and I’m excited.
I’m also excited about Responsibility of the Crown. This is the updated title of what had been Across the Endless Ocean. I’m doing the final read through to make sure no major issues cropped up in the editing process. Thanks to Mia Kleve for all her excellent work.
What I’m Listening To
Nick Solak getting an infield hit for an RBI. Go Rangers!
Quote of the Week
Gotta have a baseball quote. Take it away, Joltin’ Joe.
“You always get a special kick on opening day, no matter how many you go through. You look forward to it like a birthday party when you’re a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen.”
― Joe DiMaggio
New Mythology Works in Progress
Deadline: 31 July
Manuscript: In .doc or .docx file format, Times New Roman, 12pt, 1.5 spaced
Send To: email@example.com
Prompt: Write a fantasy story involving a beast or monster. While the story can include elements of horror, it should not be a horror story; it should be a fantasy and lean toward the heroic. Feel free to make the beast or monster your protagonist, but if not, the creature must be a central figure, (like Grendel in Beowulf).
As mentioned, we will choose the top four stories out of those submitted to add to the anthology. This is especially aimed at newer authors, though authors of any experience can enter.
- Just Released: Songs of Valor (Book 2 of the Libri Valoris anthologies with Larry Correia, David Weber, Glen Cook, Dave Butler, and Sarah Hoyt). You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z7Z3KT1
- 12 April: Accepted (Book 2 of the Balance of Kerr series by Kevin Steverson.
- 21 May: Responsibility of the Crown (Book 1 of the Endless Ocean series by G. Scott Huggins)
Rob’s Works in Progress
- The Ravening of Wolves (89,116)
- Rick Blaine (8,845)
- CB (8,418)
- Cynewulf (8,642)
- Gato (2,312)
- FantaSci, 21-23 May, Durham, NC
- LibertyCon, 27-27 June, Chattanooga, TN
- DragonCon, 2-6 September, Atlanta, GA
- 20BooksTo50K, 8-12 November, Las Vegas, NV
I’m under a time crunch, so I will do my announcements on social media tomorrow and add them to next week’s. In the meantime, have I mentioned Songs of Valor is here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z7Z3KT1
Today’s Weight: 340.8
Updated Word Count: 12,988
Shijuren Wiki: 725 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3)
- “What’s in a Name” in When Valor Must Hold (An Edward prequel story)
- “An Oath’s Other Edge” in Dragons and Dribbles : A Corner Scribblers Flash Collection w/ guest author, Rob Howell
Nick Patara, PI
- Silent Knight (Nick Patara, PI, Book 1)
- Under a Midnight Clear (Nick Patara, PI, Book 2) (Forthcoming)
Four Horsemen Universe
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (Revelations Cycle, Book 7))
- “A Sword for Striking” in Luck Is Not a Factor (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 6)
- Fire From Fire Quickened” in The Gates of Hell (Four Horsemen Saga, Book 4)
- The Feeding of Sorrows (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 11)
The Phases of Mars
- “Far Better to Dare” in Those In Peril
- “In Dark’ning Storms” in To Slip the Surly Bonds
- “Here Must We Hold” in Trouble in the Wind
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “The Chaos of Well-Seeming Forms” in We Dare
- “Nor War’s Quick Fire” in We Dare II: Semper Paratus (Forthcoming, 2020)
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com