Week of 22-28 January
As many of you read on my blog or my Facebook, my father passed away on Sunday. It was not unexpected, but it has filled this week with contemplation and remembrance.
I’ve been staying with my friend Talina the last few days as she lives almost exactly halfway between Chattanooga and Manchester in Frederick, Maryland. This happens to be an area filled with history, and wallowing in that history as added to the contemplation and remembrance. Today, for example, I worked for several hours at a pub that was originally established in 1783 as Hagan’s Tavern. Then, since it was such a beautiful day, I drove around and ended up at the Antietam battlefield.
The sunken road and Burnside’s Bridge are filled with ghosts. Both were especially bloody places, and it’s easy to see from the terrain why. Odd to walk on that ground. Dad and I often talked about all sorts of interesting places we each saw over the years.
Quote of the Week
Tomorrow I’m off to New Hampshire. I may do a field trip during the day on Friday before setting up for Birka. We’ll see. There are ghosts up there too. In some ways, I’m one of them, ghosting through the miles.
Carry all those phantoms
Through bitter wind and stormy skies
From the desert to the mountain
From the lowest low to the highest high
Like a ghost rider
– Rush, Ghost Rider
News and Works in Progress
– I’ve overcome some of the challenges and made great progress on Where Now the Rider. Smooth sailing for a bit until I figure out the right order to arrange the climactic scenes.
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- John Reid Howell, 1941-2016 http://robhowell.org/blog/?p=545
- ChattaCon 2017 AAR http://robhowell.org/blog/?p=547
- 27-28 January: Market Day in Birka, Manchester, NH
- 3-5 March: CoastCon, Biloxi, MS
- 12-20 March: Gulf Wars, Lumberton, MS
- 28-30 April: Planet Comicon, Kansas City, MO
I had a great conversation with Melissa Gay at the LibertyCon party this weekend. I especially love her starscapes, but she is a great artist and you can find her work at: http://www.melissagay.com/
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at email@example.com. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: http://www.shijuren.org/World+of+Shijuren+Home
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robhowell.org/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Bk 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Bk 2)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Bk 1)
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org