Week of 21-27 May
I am done with Where Now the Rider, except I’m gonna let it percolate over the weekend. I have completed all the edits I’ve been given and I like it a lot. But oddly enough, thanks to a quirk in scheduling I need to have it done on Tuesday, but not today. This weekend is ConQuest 48 and I could rush to put it up on Amazon and deal with all the details on CreateSpace, but instead, I’m going to read it one last time this weekend before putting it up on Tuesday. I doubt I’ll find much to change, but I’ll admit that I’ve never ever finished anything I’ve ever written, I’ve just released it into the wild.
Seems oddly comforting to have a few days to let it sit, though.
Anyway, I’ll be swamped over the weekend. Here’s my schedule
Friday, May 26
8:00pm: Bheer! Glorious Bheer! (Moderator)
Saturday, May 27
10:00am: What Gives Characters Depth (Moderator)
2:00pm: Using History in Fantasy and Science Fiction
4:00pm: Writing Fight and Combat Scenes
6:00pm: Bars in SF (Moderator)
Sunday, May 28
10:00am: Fantasy in the Rest of the World
The using history in fantasy and science fiction panel is the one I did at CoastCon on the spur of the moment. In it I go through the events of the Martin Koszta Affair of 1853 and show how those event can inspire me to write speculative fiction. It’s did well at CoastCon, though I only had 8-9 people. We’ll see what I get at ConQuest.
The beer panel should be interesting. I don’t know that I’ve mentioned it here, but I had a friend of mine brew a special ale for Ragnar. Yes, a real beer made by my fictional character. Sort of. Anyway, I brought a couple bottles for that panel. I may bring more tomorrow for the panel discussing bars in SF.
Quote of the Week
The convention hotel, by the way, is near the World War One museum, which I cannot recommend enough. It’s a great museum and well worth visiting when you can. I’ll swing by this weekend for Memorial Day, even though I won’t have time to visit the museum itself. However, my mom’s father served in WW1 and I arranged for him to be on a brick in the patio in front of the museum.
I hope everyone enjoys their weekend, but I also hope we remember why we don’t have to work on Monday.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
– John McCrae, In Flanders Fields
News and Works in Progress
- Where Now the Rider done but percolating one last time
- Brief Is My Flame, some plotting and 1k words written
- Short stories, 2k written
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- Weekend Notes: https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=685
- 28-30 April: Planet Comicon, Kansas City, MO http://planetcomicon.com/
- 26-28 May: Conquest, Kansas City, MO http://www.conquestkc.org/
- 17-18 June: Salina ComicCon, Salina, KS http://www.salinacomiccon.com/
- 30 June-2 July: LibertyCon, Chattanooga, TN http://www.libertycon.org/
- 28 July-13 August: Pennsic War, Cooper’s Lake, PA http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn
- 4-6 August: Confluence, Pittsburgh, PA http://parsec-sff.org/confluen
- 18-22 October: War of the Wings, Boonville, NC http://www.warofthewings.com/
- 27-29 October: HonorCon, Raleigh, NC http://www.honorcon.org/
A couple of my friends have a small publishing company. They’re great people, and if you’re looking for a small house to publish with, you might try Stonebunny Press. You can find them at http://www.stonebunnypress.ca/. I especially encourage all my Canadian writer friends to look at them.
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: http://www.shijuren.org/World+
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3) Forthcoming 2017
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2) Forthcoming 2017
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3) Forthcoming 2018
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com