This week’s interview is with a friend I met in the SCA. As you’ll see he’s a woodturner, taking chunks of wood and making beautiful things out of them.
He’s also a really generous guy. When he sees that someone’s lost a mug, or had a bad day, or whenever he thinks one of his cups will brighten someone’s day, he makes one and gives it to them.
Interview – Steve Kubien
What is your quest?
I am a woodturner. I use the patterns and textures of wood to make cremation urns and bowls (mostly). Each of these creations is as unique as person they are for or the circle of friends who use them daily.
What is your favorite color?
Favourite colours are blue and green, though they have little to do with my work (generally). As a turner, I try to create curves which are pleasing to the eye and feel good in the hands. The easier way to describe this in a concrete way is to look at an egg. Every tiny segment of the shell is a wonderful, perfect curve. Stand it on the narrow end and you have a classic vase. Use the lower half and you have a bowl that looks, feels and functions marvelously. I make parts of the curve of eggs.
What is the average flying speed of an unladen paint brush?
Completing pieces is often difficult for me. From a technical stand point, the final stages of making an urn are the most risky (in terms of ruining a piece). Thus, I often get stuck in ruts where a number of pieces are almost complete, but not quite.
I am also not a fast worker. As an independent artist, that’s a big disadvantage.
What are the powers of your personal Holy Hand Grenade?
I am very good at finding a nice curve.
- Favorite Muppet? On the 9th day, God created Kermit. He would have done it on the 8th but he was busy creating Led Zeppelin.
- Crunchy or Creamy? Crunchy, but not so much to break teeth.
- Favorite Sports Team? Whoever is playing against the Toronto Maple Lrafs
- Cake or Pie? Apple pie or death!
- Favorite Chip Dip? Helluva Good Dip, original
- Wet or Dry? Currently?
- Favorite Musical Performer We’ve Never Heard Of? Derek Trucks
- Whisky or Whiskey? Bourbon (Rob’s Note: My current favorite bourbon is the New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon casked in the same casks as their Dragon’s Milk Imperial Stout. Not expensive, but delicious)
- Favorite Superhero? Thor
- Steak Temperature? Pass it through a warm room. (Rob’s Note: The internal temperature of a cow is 107 Fahrenheit. That’s about what my sweetie prefers as well 🙂 )
- Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall? Fall
- Best Game Ever? The Riddle Game
- Coffee or Tea? Tea
What question(s) would you like to ask me?
Why do you do this?
Rob’s Answer: Well, some reasons are cynical and some less so. The cynical reason is that this gives free publicity to people I like while at the same time encouraging their fans, readers, and friends to visit my blog. Some of those will continue to read my stuff. I
I also like knowing a little more about my friends. Given how often people stay at my house, there’s a non-zero chance knowing how people like their steak or what kind of whisk(e)y they drink might be useful to know. Plus, who doesn’t want to know everyone’s favorite Muppet?
n short, it’s a win-win thing for all of us, and I like positive sum games. And it’s fun.
Tell me again where we can find your stuff?
- Steve Kubien Designs on Etsy at: https://www.etsy.com/ca/market/steve_kubien
Thanks to Steve Kubien for taking the time to answer my questions.
If you have any suggestions or comments about this interview format, let me know so I can keep tweaking it.
Thanks for reading. If you’re interested in any of the other interviews I’ve done, you can find them all here: https://robhowell.org/blog/?cat=326.
If you are a creator, especially an independent creator, and you want to be spotlighted in a future interview, email me at email@example.com.
Also, if you want to join my mailing list, where I’ll announce every interview, as well as what’s going on in my life, go to www.robhowell.org and fill out the form (Name and Email Address) or drop me an email and I’ll add you.