This week I’m interviewing William Joseph Roberts. Many of you haven’t heard of him until now, but I suspect you will. He’s a real go-getter and I’m looking forward to seeing his entry into a sooper-sekrit project we’re working on.
Interview: William Joseph Roberts
What is your quest?
In the end, I strive to create works that are fun, memorable and that evoke a physical or emotional reaction. Nothing beats watching someone read a rough scene and start to gag from what they are reading, then ask where the rest of it is.
What is your favorite color?
I’ve always liked finding Easter eggs hidden away in a story or game or show. Like the tardis or finding a sperm whale and bowl of petunias in the wasteland in Fallout 1.
What is the average flying speed of an unladen paintbrush?
DISTRACTIONS! Which really goes back to those evil little demons at the back of our minds telling us that we can’t. So, we snack, we watch a show, we do dishes, or in my case we create a podcast and go down the distraction rabbit hole from hell. But in the end, everything that I learned while doing the podcast, like networking has paid off in the end.
What are the powers of your personal Holy Hand Grenade?
Research and multitasking. But only if I am able to reign in my brain squirrels and keep them from going down too many internet rabbit holes.
- Favorite Muppet? Animal (Rob’s Note: Shocking!)
- Your Wrestler Name? Billy Joe Bob (Rob’s Note: Also Shocking!)
- And Signature Wrestling Move? Der…. Flying clothes line
- Favorite Weird Color? Radioactive green
- How Will You Conquer the World? By cloning myself, if the wife will agree to let me do it.
- What Cartoon Character Are You? Tasmanian Devil
- Best Present You’ve Ever Received? Pictures of my kids and grandkids
- What Do You Secretly Plot? To build a self sufficient underground community
- Favorite Sports Team? I have no idea. I’m usually doing something else.
- Cake or Pie? Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Lime or Lemon? Lime
- Favorite Chip Dip? The wife’s black bean dip (Rob’s Note: This could be brought to conventions, you know)
- Favorite Cereal? Coco Pebbles
- Favorite Musical Performer We’ve Never Heard Of? Heidivolk Damn good Viking metal
- Whisky or Whiskey? Neither, Scotch!
- Favorite Superhero? Lobo
- Steak Temperature? Hu? Wipe it’s nasty ass, lop off the horns and put it on a plate.
- Favorite 1970s TV show? Battlestar Galactica
- Best Thing From the 80s? Starflight
- Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall? Fall
- Favorite Pet? Do kids count? If not, then the puppers
- Best Game Ever? Starflight
- Coffee or Tea? Coffee
- Sci-Fi or Fantasy? Both
- Brought to you by the letter: P
What question(s) would you like to ask me?
What is your preferred weapon of choice when roaming the lands.
Rob’s Answer: Probably a spear. It’s the one weapon I got pretty good at in the SCA and it’s useful in a variety of ways. Also, as a Fyrdman of Calontir, it’s got a special meaning for me.
Now, if we’re talking life in general, my favorite weapon is politeness and happiness. It’s sort of social judo, I guess. I smile and laugh and often get what I’m hoping for. And if I don’t, I’m at least pleased with how I acted. Of course, the down side is when I lose my temper and act like a jerk I’m that much more pissed at myself.
Tell me again where we can find your stuff?
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/WJRoberts12
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wj.roberts.129
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I_cb2EuKU
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/William-Joseph-Roberts/e/B07FBXSQDX/
- And I just released My space opera, fLUX Runners: https://www.amazon.com/fLUX-Runners-William-Joseph-Roberts-ebook/dp/B081M3XKBV/
- Promo video is here: https://youtu.be/YNGpH3iGE-U
And where can we find you? (Events and cons you’re scheduled to attend)
- Chattacon in January
- AnachroCon in February
- Fantasci in March
- Metrotham in May
- LibertyCon in June
Do you have a creator biography?
In a previous lifetime, William Joseph Roberts was an F-15 mechanic and Staff Sergeant in the United States Air Force. He has traveled the world and experienced many things in his few years. During this lifetime, he has been called a Jack of all trades, a Renaissance man and insane squirrel wrangler by his peers.
Since his enlistment ended, he has perused careers as an industrial and architectural designer, design engineer, and now, eclectic writer.
William Joseph Roberts currently resides in the quaint southern town of Chickamauga, Georgia with his loving wife, three freaky-smart nerd children, and small pack of fur babies.
Full blown bio at: https://williamjosephroberts.com/about/
Thanks to William for taking the time to answer my questions.
If you have any suggestions or comments about this interview format, let me know so I can keep tweaking it.
Also, thanks to you for reading. If you’re interested in any of the other interviews I’ve done, you can find them all here: https://robhowell.org/blog/?cat=326. If you are a creator, especially an independent creator, and you want to be spotlighted in a future interview, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, if you want to join my mailing list, where I’ll announce every interview, as well as what’s going on in my life, go to www.robhowell.org and fill out the form (Name and Email Address) or drop me an email and I’ll add you.
Have a great day.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rhodri2112
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: http://www.shijuren.org/World+
- MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/rob.howell1
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112