Week 49 of 2019
Trouble in the Wind is live! Sixteen stories of ground warfare that might have been. My story is “Here Must We Hold” about the Battle of Maldon.
You can find an excerpt of my story here: https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1899.
I’m quite pleased with the story. I’m honored to have been given the opportunity to contribute. I’m absolutely stoked I get to be in a book with David Weber, Kevin J. Anderson, and S.M. Stirling, among others.
I made some progress on None Call Me Mother. Much of it wasn’t in words written, but rather cleaning up. I’m at that stage where I need to go back through it all to firm up the earlier chapters, fill in some connections, and make sure I’m ready for the final chapters.
What I mostly did was write another short story. I’ll tell you all about it when it’s about to go out the door. I also made progress on another project. All in all, a good week, even if it doesn’t show up in the raw numbers.
I also spent a goodly amount of time cleaning house. This is Kris Kinder Weekend, which means I have a big sales event then host everyone after the event.
It’s one of my favorite weekends of the year, but I’ll be exhausted on Sunday. It’s a fair trade.
What I’m Listening To
La Villa Strangiato by Rush. Such a great song.
Quote of the Week
This week’s quote is the inspiration for my story’s title. Thanks to Rosalind Jehanne for granting me permission to use it.
Here must we hold So hearken to my counsel
Felled is our lord Slain by foemen on the field
Now we must honor The oaths we made in mead-hall
Now we must shoulder The burden of his shield
– Rosalind Jehanne
It’s one of my favorite songs. You can find the complete lyrics to her song here: http://www.calonsong.org/CalontirSongs/battleofmaldon.htm
News and Works in Progress
- None Call Me Mother (86,645)
- CB (8,418)
- SK (6,874)
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- Interview (Bill Webb): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1879
- Interview (Kevin Ikenberry): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1527
- Interview (Peter Grant): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1887
- Interview (Philip S. Bolger): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1893
- Excerpt (Here Must We Hold): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1899
- 14 December, Kris Kinder Market, Kansas City, MO
- 2-4 January, ShadowCon, Memphis, TN
- 24-27 January, ChattaCon, Chattanooga, TN
- 20-22 March, FantaSci, Raleigh, NC
- 12-14 June, LibertyCon, Chattanooga, TN
This week’s spotlight is on all of the great authors who participated in Trouble in the Wind. Again, you can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082K73QPD. I think you’ll enjoy it.
Today’s Weight: 396.4
Updated Word Count: 216,398
Shijuren Wiki: 874 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rhodri2112
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: http://www.shijuren.org/World+
- MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/rob.howell1
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3) Forthcoming 2019
Four Horsemen Universe
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (The Four Horsemen Universe)
- “A Sword for Striking” in Luck Is Not a Factor (The Four Horsemen Universe)
- The Feeding of Sorrows (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 11)
The Phases of Mars
- “Far Better to Dare” in Those In Peril
- “In Dark’ning Storms” in To Slip the Surly Bonds
- “Here Must We Hold” in Trouble in the Wind
Other Short Stories
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “The Chaos of Well-Seeming Forms” in We Dare
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com