Week 30 of 2020
Finally! Today is the full opening day for baseball. They’ve had a couple marquee games already, like they do these days, but the first full day of baseball, which is usually packed from noon to after midnight is one of the great days of the year.
Interesting is, of course, the word to describe this year. Generally, a full-time hitter can expect to bat about 700 times in a given year. That might seem like a lot but it is still not enough to eliminate all the statistical biases of a small sample size. You need about 1100 to bring the plus/minus aspect down to small levels.
In 2020, a full time batter can expect about 300 times to bat. They’ve done some fun examples of what could happen in only 60 games, including batting averages not just above .400, but well above .400, even well past Nap LaJoie’s .426 in 1901.
So, yeah, expect some statistical anomalies.
And overall result anomalies, especially with 16 playoff teams. The playoffs are essentially about luck, as even the best team only slightly better than the worst playoff team in a single game. It will only take 2 coin flips out of 3 for the number 16 team to beat the number 1 team.
Made good progress on None Call Me Mother. Word count doesn’t really show much difference, but that’s because I’m cutting some of the dross as I go.
This last battle was always going to be a hairball, which is what I wanted. I’ve written several chunks and plotted a number of others, but it’s a balance to get it all to flow smoothly. That’s most of what I’m doing right now.
The blocking is tricky, but to a certain extent, that’s what I have an editor for.
I think I’ll have the final draft next week, though, so I’m excited.
What I’m Listening To
Landslide, the Smashing Pumpkins version. Great version of a great song.
Quote of the Week
I don’t know that I’ve had a Casey Stengel quote here lately. Casey doesn’t get enough credit, I think.Yeah, he had a bunch of great ballplayers like Berra, DiMaggio, and Mantle, but even so he was a fantastic manager.
He’s certainly one of the great quote machines. This is what he said after getting fired from the Yankees, having ‘only’ won the pennant in 1960.
“They told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advance way of keeping the club going. I’ll never make the mistake of being seventy again.”
– Casey Stengel
News and Works in Progress
- None Call Me Mother (134,151)
- CB (8,418)
- AOOE (1,030)
- Cynewulf (8,642)
- Gato (2,312)
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
- “The Hunter”: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=%27%27The-Hunter%27%27
- “The Book of Songs”: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=%27%27Book-of-Songs%27%27
- Svellheimish Language: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Svellheimish-Language
- Jamtaland: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Jamtaland
- Gabriele Hellmond: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Gabriele-Hellmond
- Eostre: https://shijuren.org/tiki-index.php?page=Eostre
- 8 August, Olathe Writers Zoom Event
- 3-7 September, DragonCon, Atlanta, GA
CANCELED (Much sadness)
Two from Chris Kennedy Publishing this week. One is Mark Wandrey writing in Chuck Gannon’s Caine Riordan world. It’s called Pearl and you can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Murphys-Lawless-Book-5-ebook/dp/B08D72Q4ZZ/
Also, there’s another Fallen World novel, this one by J.P. Chandler. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/They-Call-Princess-Fallen-World-ebook/dp/B08DG84QYJ/
Today’s Weight: 372.2
Updated Word Count: 82,082
Shijuren Wiki: 874 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rhodri2112
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: http://www.shijuren.org/World+
- MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/rob.howell1
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3) Forthcoming 2020
- “What’s in a Name” in When Valor Must Hold (An Edward prequel story)
Four Horsemen Universe
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (The Four Horsemen Universe)
- “A Sword for Striking” in Luck Is Not a Factor (The Four Horsemen Universe)
- The Feeding of Sorrows (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 11)
The Phases of Mars
- “Far Better to Dare” in Those In Peril
- “In Dark’ning Storms” in To Slip the Surly Bonds
- “Here Must We Hold” in Trouble in the Wind
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “The Chaos of Well-Seeming Forms” in We Dare
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com