Week 25 of 2021
I know it’s only been four days since my last update, but it’s been hectic, fun, and productive.
Tuesday was Lasers and Lagers at the Lie’brary on Beck. It’s a cool bar that is book-themed. My sort of place, right? I’d be in trouble if I lived within walking distance.
The event itself was basically a bunch of CKP authors chatting with people local to Panama City. We donated books to the local library and held raffles to raise money for that library as well. We had such a great time, we never had a chance to record a Dudes in Hyperspace podcast, which was part of the plan.
We also got to surprise, Sheellah, Chris’s wife, with a pre-birthday party. I won’t say what birthday. I’m not that crazy.
It was a great night, though exhausting. Then I had two travel days to get me to Indianapolis to InConjunction. I’m set up in the dealer’s hall with Mark and Joy Wandrey to the right of me and Jon Osborne to the left of me. I’m doomed!!!
I’ll also be on panels. Here’s my schedule:
- 4:30 p.m: Meet New Mythology Press – Rob Howell, John Osborne – Panel Room
- 6 p.m: Anthologies: Creating and Writing – Mark Wandrey, Rob Howell, T. Lee Harris – Panel Room
- 8 p.m: Writing in a Shared Universe – Mark Wandrey, Rob Howell – Panel Room
- 2:30 p.m: Pantsing Prep – Rob Howell, Sara Marian – Panel Room
Hope to see some of you all there.
Of course, this is the end of the second week since The Ravening of Wolves came out. I’m really pleased with sales. They’ve continued far longer than most of my previous books, and I really appreciate all of you who’ve taken the time to review the book already. Those reviews have kept the momentum going. Also, thanks to all who’ve read the book. Without you, I don’t get to do this job.
Speaking of new stuff, I just sent off a story. It’s a short story in Kevin Steverson’s Salvage Title universe. Hopefully he’ll accept it. It’s one of my most whimsical pieces to date.
Next week, I’ll be organizing more and more of the anthology stuff. The deadline for submissions is 31 July and I want to be ready for the final push. In early August, I’ll put out the final list of all authors in the anthology and the winners.
There’s been some great submissions so far, so keep them coming.
With that, I think I’d better go do some writing.
What I’m Listening To
Xanadu by Rush. I’m getting one of my favorite poems *and* my favorite band, all in one swell foop!
Quote of the Week
Sixty years ago on this day, Ernest Hemingway died, so it’s a good time for one of my favorite quotes from him. This is one of several things he said I try to live up to.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.
― Ernest Hemingway
New Mythology Works in Progress
Current open anthology calls:
I’m currently working on Heart of Ice, the sequel to Keep of Glass by Steven G. Johnson. This is a fun take on the Arthurian legends.
The big news, however, in the CKP world, is CKP International. We’re in the process of translating our books into German, French, and Japanese, with perhaps some other languages coming.
This will include New Mythology’s titles, of course, and I look forward to announcing those release dates.
Rob’s Works in Progress
- Rick Blaine (8,845)
- CB (8,418)
- CSC (1,283)
- MON (829)
- InConJunction, 2-4 July, Indianapolis, IN
- Salina Comicon, 10-11 July, Salina, KS
- Armistice, 29 July to 9 August, Slippery Rock, PA
- DragonCon, 2-6 September, Atlanta, GA
- FactoryCon, 22-24 October, Coinjock, NC
Details in the CKP – Factory Floor on Facebook.
- 20BooksTo50K, 8-12 November, Las Vegas, NV
Today’s Weight: 334.2
Updated Word Count: 170,511
Shijuren Wiki: 746 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
Currently Available Works
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3)
- “What’s in a Name” in When Valor Must Hold (An Edward prequel story)
- “An Oath’s Other Edge” in Dragons and Dribbles : A Corner Scribblers Flash Collection w/ guest author, Rob Howell
Nick Patara, PI
- Silent Knight (Nick Patara, PI, Book 1)
- Under a Midnight Clear (Nick Patara, PI, Book 2) (Forthcoming)
Four Horsemen Universe
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (Revelations Cycle, Book 7))
- “A Sword for Striking” in Luck Is Not a Factor (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 6)
- Fire From Fire Quickened” in The Gates of Hell (Four Horsemen Saga, Book 4)
- The Feeding of Sorrows (Four Horsemen Tales, Book 11)
The Phases of Mars
- “Far Better to Dare” in Those In Peril
- “In Dark’ning Storms” in To Slip the Surly Bonds
- “Here Must We Hold” in Trouble in the Wind
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “The Chaos of Well-Seeming Forms” in We Dare
- “Nor War’s Quick Fire” in We Dare II: Semper Paratus (Forthcoming, 2020)
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com