Week 40 of 2018
Been a good week here, though a little disjointed. Since I’ve moved back I’ve been to the doctor a bunch. During the time I was in Omaha, I kept waiting to figure out where we were going to live before getting a doctor. Since we didn’t actually find a place, I kept putting it off. Now that I’m 50, it’s not smart for me to avoid doctors, so I’ve been getting my 250,000 mile checkup, so to speak. That means a bunch of visits, and I had several this week.
The good news is that I’m doing pretty good for 50. I’m also really pleased with my new doctor. My last KC doctor took forever once you got to see her. She’s very smart, but I simply don’t want to wait three hours once I get there. This new doctor is actually incredibly quick. Other than the procedure I had last week, I’ve had something like ten office visits in the last month and a half. I’ve spent less time total in those visits, including with the specialists, than I did the first time I visited my old doctor. Nevertheless, each time takes out a chunk of the day.
What isn’t in as good of shape is my old phone. I didn’t want to upgrade to a Note 9 just yet, but I dropped my Note 5 and broke it. Ah, well. I did want the 9, and frankly the 512Gb of storage has already proven useful.
Still, I titled this week “Serendipity” because of last weekend. I got a chance to go to the Great Plains Ren Faire because a friend mentioned it. I did well and I got to briefly see my mom. I’ll be back in April.
Then, once I was there, another friend posted they were at the Lynyrd Skynyrd concert in Fayetteville, AR. Idly, Friday night, I checked their tour dates since I wanted to see them at least once. And, lookee there, they’re playing Saturday night after the Ren Fest closed in downtown Wichita. Definitely serendipitous.
I was a little disappointed in the Marshall Tucker Band, who opened for them. For whatever reason, their sound was a bit off. Can’t You See was fabulous, though. Anyway, I really enjoyed Skynyrd. The bits where they interwove parts of Ronnie Van Zant singing on the screen were powerful. Tuesday’s Gone live was worth the price of admission.
And I got to yell for someone to play Freebird without irony.
Oh, and I also named this post “Serendipity” because I love that word. It’s so mellifluous. It was also the title of our English reader in 6th grade. It had some great stories.
Ah, well, that’s enough about me. I’m going to get back to work. Have a great week.
Current Playlist Song
Acadian Dance by Rik Emmett from Triumph. This is from his acoustic album where he basically plays around and shows off all he can do. It’s good writing music.
Quote of the Week
Today is Neils Bohr’s birthday. He’s got a number of great quotes, but this is one of my favorites, especially since I started writing. And before you ask, I still have quite a few to make.
“An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field.”
– Neils Bohr
News and Works in Progress
- The Feeding of Sorrows (approx. 20,000)
- CB (8,418)
- AFS (2,556)
Recent Blog Posts and Wiki Additions
This week I started #Four Horsetober, a bunch of interviews of other authors in the Four Horsemen Universe. You can expect a bunch of interviews throughout October in honor of the two Lyon’s Den anthologies.
- Interview (Jamie Ibson): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1439
- Interview (Christopher Woods): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1450
- Interview (James L. Young): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1457
- Interview (Rerun of Kacey Ezell): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1470
- Interview (Rerun of Chris Kennedy): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1435
- Magazine Review (Fantasy March, 1974): https://robhowell.org/blog/?p=1445
This week’s spotlight is on the Four Horsemen writers. See the list above for all the interview links.
Today’s Weight: 382.8
Updated Word Count: 209,771
Shijuren Wiki: 874 entries
Four Horsemen Wiki: 417 entries
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the website, this email, or cool story ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Especially let me know of suggestions you have for the Spotlight section.
Have a great week, everyone.
Author of the Shijuren-series of novels
- Website: www.robhowell.org
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rhodri2112
- Blog: www.robhowell.org/blog
- Shijuren Wiki: http://www.shijuren.org/World+
- MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/rob.howell1
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/robho
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhodri2112
- A Lake Most Deep (Edward, Book 1)
- The Eyes of a Doll (Edward, Book 2)
- Where Now the Rider (Edward, Book 3)
- I Am a Wondrous Thing (The Kreisens, Book 1)
- Brief Is My Flame (The Kreisens, Book 2)
- None Call Me Mother (The Kreisens, Book 3) Forthcoming 2018
- “A Gift of Crimson” in Hand of Gold and Other Stories (Pussy Katnip)
- “Where Enemies Sit” in For a Few Credits More (The Four Horsemen Universe)
If you think you received this email incorrectly or wish to be unsubscribed, please send an email to email@example.com